When it comes to B&B marketing, email is a brilliant tool! It’s cheaper to send 1,000 emails than it is to send one letter and I learned a long time ago that every time I send an email to my list I get business – without fail.
So if you’re not already, I seriously encourage you to start sending regular emails – ensuring you follow the GDPR and have consent of course!
Never forget, it’s not your guests job to remember to book with you, it’s your job to remind them!
But how do you prevent your emails from being flung in the ‘trash bin’ without even seeing the light-of-day? There are lots of secrets to writing effective emails and here are my top five:
Tip #1 – Personalise
Your email needs to immediately build a relationship with the recipient. Where possible, use the recipient’s name in the greeting line and once or twice elsewhere in the email.
Create intrigue by using a powerful subject line – you want the email to actually get opened. Note that phrases like “Please Read”, “Your Action Required” or “A Little Favour” actually work!
Tip #2 – Position
Your email needs to position you as the best B&B around:
– Make sure your email highlights how you are different from your competitors
– Know your audience and make sure that you highlight the benefits to them
– The opening sentence should familiarise the reader with your reason for writing
– Get to the point of your email as soon as possible; busy people value brevity
Tip #3 – Persuade
Your email should convince the reader to do one thing … book!
– Appear confident and emphasise reliability and consistency
– Provide social proof in the form of testimonials/reviews and accolades/awards
– Focus on just one call to action and make it easy – call, email or click
– But, most of all, make sure you underline how great your B&B is!
Tip #4 – Perfect
Remember, first impressions count so once you’ve finished writing your email you need to:
– Proof read it.
– Proof read it again.
– Get someone else to proof read it.
– Put it to one side for a day and then proof read it again!
And finally …
Tip #5 – Press Send
I have seen thousands of emails that have never actually been sent! So many times B&B owners write a great marketing email but then start worrying that it doesn’t sound right or it isn’t perfect and it never gets sent. Other times the email is 90% written but the B&B owner gets taken off on a tangent and never completes the task. And on more occasions that I care to share, they’re never even written.
How many times have you had an amazing marketing idea but never actually got around to doing something about it? At the end of the day, the most effective email is the one that is actually sent!
Until next time, remember …
If you want more direct bookings, if you want to build better guest relationships and if you want to drive more traffic to your website then you need to stop worrying about creating the perfect email and focus more on getting it actually sent!
PS Here’s some more helpful tips on how to make sure your emails get opened and read!